This is a review for the small 2016 FreshDirect Thanksgiving Feast kit. I am posting early so that people (in New York area) that like to plan ahead (like me) can consider this as an option!
Our first Thanksgiving in New York was in 2015 when we went to the Thanksgiving Day Parade. That year I learnt how to brine and roast a turkey, and had a few friends over for dinner.
Last year, Gambit and I decided to spend Thanksgiving alone and I decided to try the small FreshDirect Thanksgiving Feast kit.
The $89 small FreshDirect dinner feast kit included:
- a cooked turkey breast (or turkey crown)
- mashed potatoes
- cranberry sauce
- green beans
I also ordered a serve of Mashed Sweet Potato (Gambit loves sweet potato) and a Four & Twenty Blackbirds Salted Caramel Apple Pie (which I got on sale for $28.50).
The dinner kit came with FreshDirect Thanksgiving dinner heating instructions on how to serve the turkey, and it was so easy! FreshDirect even provided the foil tray to cook the turkey in.
We tucked into our Thanksgiving dinner kit around 1pm which all my American friends said was “super” early. I agree, it might have been really early but I spent the morning watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV and then had nothing else to do, so I decided to start on the food.
After eating, Gambit and I rugged up and went for a walk around our backyard, aka Central Park, to ‘walk’ off our huge dinner. For all of those that know me, Fall/Autumn is one of my favourite times of the year and although my photos don’t represent the season well, I hope you can at least see some of the colours.
Verdict: 2016 FreshDirect Thanksgiving Dinner Feast Kit
- I would absolutely do the dinner kit again. Everything about it was so easy. Everything came in the package, including the step by step instructions. FreshDirect really thought of everything to make the day go to plan!
- I think $89 is reasonable for the no fuss, no muss – especially for Thanksgiving. I mean, I am not American but I think the day is mostly about the food, but equally as important, who you’re with.
- The food was delicious. I was scared the turkey would be dry but I followed the heating instructions and this issue became a non-issue.
- The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Salted Caramel Apple Pie was an absolute delight. The bakery is in Brooklyn, so it was nice to have something “local”.
I had issues with my order
The FreshDirect delivery guys damaged the gravy container so when I opened up my delivery, gravy was over everything! Luckily, I had gravy powder in my pantry to make up for that loss. Once I called FreshDirect to tell them about what happened, they provided a refund for any items that were damaged.
I wish FreshDirect paid me for this review but alas, I received nothing. I wrote this review for your benefit and mine (so I can remember in 10 years time).